Turkey Stuffed Peppers
A variation using orange peppers, turkey and orzo instead of rice.
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 orange bell peppers, with stem, halved lengthwise through stem, ribs and seeds discarded
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare orzo as directed.
- Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet until softened.
- Spread half the onion in a lightly oiled pie plate. Add ground turkey to remaining onion in a skillet and cook about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in orzo, 1/4 cup water, 2 1/2 tablespoons dill, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir tomatoes into onion in pie plate and season with salt and pepper. Place bell pepper halves, cut sides up, in tomato and onion mixture. Fill bell pepper halves with turkey mixture, cover pie plate with foil and bake 45-50 minutes. Sprinkle top with 1/2 tablespoon dill.