Squash & Apple Cheddar Gratin
Warm, comforting and cheesy! This dish is perfect for a family dinner on chilly nights.
Serves: 6Prep: 1 hourCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons Kroger® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 1/2 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Simple Truth™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 3 cups butternut squash (from 1 large squash), cooked and lightly mashed
- Black pepper
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions and thyme in oil over medium-low heat until onions are soft and golden.
- In a medium bowl, toss the apple slices with flour. In another bowl, toss the cheese with bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil an 8”x 8”x 3” baking dish and layer the ingredients as follows: squash, a sprinkling of salt and pepper, onions, apple slices, additional salt and pepper, followed by the cheddar bread crumb mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 15 minutes or until apples are tender and the topping is bubbly and golden.