Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Apple Slaw
Apple slaw pairs deliciously with this tender smoked pork.
Serves: 6Prep: 12 hours 10 minutesCook: 6 minutesTotal: 12 hours 16 minutesDifficulty: Hard
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 4⁄5 tbsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups apple cider
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 3 cups hickory wood chips, or as needed, soaked in water
- 1 cup green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup green apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- 6 buns
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, ½ tablespoon salt, paprika, onion powder, pepper and garlic powder. Place apple cider in a medium bowl and mix about half the seasoning mixture into the apple cider; reserve remaining rub. Place pork in the bowl and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Heat smoker to about 225°F and add wood chips to smoker.
- Remove pork from mixture and rub with remaining rub mixture; transfer to smoker.
- Smoke pork until very tender, until internal temperature reaches 190-210°F (approximately 60-90 minutes per pound). Once cooked, remove from smoker and place on a large platter, then shred pork.
- In a medium bowl, combine green cabbage, red cabbage, apple, jalapeño, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Serve shredded pork on buns and top with apple slaw. Refrigerate leftovers.