Skirt Steak in Tomatillo Salsa with Nopales (Falda en Salsa Verde)
This quick and easy meal uses skirt steak or flank steak and is full of authentic Mexican flavor.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 pounds skirt steak or flank steak
- 1 cup onion, sliced and divided
- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups Kroger® Reduced Sodium Beef Broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked and halved
- 1 1⁄2 serrano chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups nopales, cleaned, washed, cut into strips and cooked
- 1 pound red potatoes, halved
- In large saucepan, place skirt steak, ¼ cup onion, 1 clove garlic, 1½ cups beef broth and ½ teaspoon salt. Add enough water until meat is completely covered with liquid. Cook covered on medium-high heat for 45-60 minutes, or until meat is tender. Remove steak and shred with two forks.
- In blender, place tomatillos, ¼ cup onion, 2 cloves garlic, serrano chiles, cilantro, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ cup beef broth, and process until smooth.
- In 4-quart saucepan, add olive oil and ½ cup of sliced onions and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add potatoes and blended tomatillo salsa. Cook covered over medium heat for 8-12 minutes, or until the salsa turns to a deeper green.
- Add nopales (if nopales are from a jar, and the brine is spicy, remove chile and place on a strainer to remove brine) and shredded steak. Cover and simmer until potatoes are cooked. Serve with rice on the side.