Roast Chicken with Maple-Pumpkin Glaze
Once in the oven, this simple roast chicken with an autumnal rub will cast a fragrant spell over your kitchen.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. canned pumpkin purée
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 whole chicken (4 lbs.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add pumpkin, maple syrup, cinnamon, and thyme and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Cut small slit under skin on both sides of chicken breast and under legs. Once the pumpkin mixture is cool, generously rub it under skin and all over the top of skin. Place chicken, breast side up, on the rack of a roasting pan.
- Roast 50 to 60 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 165°F at thickest part of thigh. Tent with foil for 5 minutes before carving.