Mexican Skillet Casserole
Delicious, easily customizable and created in a single skillet, this taco-inspired casserole does it all – plus, it’s easy to clean-up!
Serves: 6Prep: 5 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 package (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning
- 1 package (8.8 oz.) microwavable Spanish-style rice
- 2 cups Mexican-style cheese, divided
- Black olives, optional
- Avocado slices, optional
- Corn chips, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Chopped cilantro, optional
- Lime wedges, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line plate with paper towels.
- In cast-iron skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef 8 minutes (safe internal temperature 160°F). Transfer to paper towel-lined plate, allowing excess grease to drain.
- Add onion to skillet; cook 2 minutes. Return beef to skillet; add water, taco seasoning, rice and 1 cup cheese. Stir to combine. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over top.
- Bake 12–15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Serve with optional toppings. Refrigerate any leftovers.