Ginger Mint Julep
This variation on a traditional mint julep adds just the right amount of ginger-zing.
Serves: 1Prep: 5 minutesCook: 1 hour 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- GINGER SYRUP
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- GINGER MINT JULEP
- 4 mint leaves
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup
- Crushed Ice
- 2 ounces Jim Beam® Bourbon
- Mint sprig
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat water, ginger and sugar over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Strain syrup through mesh strainer. Refrigerate until cold.
- For each ginger mint julep, in julep cup or 10- to 12-ounce glass, muddle mint leaves in ginger syrup.
- Add crushed ice and pour bourbon over ice. Stir at least 30 seconds to frost glass and mix ingredients. Garnish with additional mint. Serve immediately.
- Drink responsibly.
- Variation: For a sparkling ginger mint julep, make as directed, except use 1½ ounces bourbon. Fill glass ¾ full of ice; stir. Top off with sparkling water.