Derby Hat Cookies
Bring a celebrated Derby Day tradition to your desserts with these delicious Kentucky Derby Hat cookies!
Serves: 60Prep: 2 hours 15 minutesCook: 1 hour 5 minutesTotal: 3 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups Powdered Sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Food coloring, if desired
- 30 large marshmallows, cut in half
- Assorted decorating candies, sprinkles, icing gels, etc. if desired
- In a large bowl beat 1 cup butter and sugar together until fluffy; add egg, milk and vanilla, beating until well mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat on low speed until combined. Divide dough in half; flatten each half and wrap in food plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough out to ⅛”- ¼” thickness. Using a 2 ½”-2 ¾” circle cookie cutter cut dough; transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until just beginning to brown on edges; transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile beat together powdered sugar, ¼ cup butter, water, corn syrup and almond extract until smooth; adjust consistency with water if needed. Tint frosting with food coloring if desired.
- Place a small dot of frosting on the middle of each cookie to adhere a marshmallow half. Frost the cookie and marshmallow completely to make it look like a hat. Adorn with small candies, sprinkles or use decorating gel to decorate. Allow to stand for several hours for icing to firm up.