Chunky Tomato & Spinach Soup
If you’re a fan of tomato soup, you’ll fall in love with this hearty version, enhanced with tomato chunks, onion, garlic and spinach.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 pounds tomatoes, tops removed, quartered
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 cup croutons
- 1⁄2 cup Kroger Brand Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- In skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté ½ the garlic 30 seconds. Add spinach; cook until spinach is tender but not wilted. Set aside.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add remaining garlic cloves, onion and oregano; sauté 1½ minutes, until onion is tender. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth, sea salt and pepper; cover. Simmer 8 to 11 minutes, until tomatoes are tender. Let cool slightly.
- In food processor, process tomato mixture until slightly chunky.
- In saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Combine chunky tomato mixture and spinach; heat through.
- To serve, garnish soup with croutons and shredded parmesan.