Chicken, Vegetable, and Barley Soup
Barley adds mild-tasting whole grain to this soup. For a heartier dish, add diced or shredded leftover pot roast or turkey to the soup in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 cups low-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, sliced
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (10.75 oz.) tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
- Combine broth, onion, celery, frozen vegetables, and tomato puree in a large soup pot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in barley and chicken. Simmer 1 hour, stirring often.
- When barley is tender, add salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.