This flavorful Mexican-inspired soup is a hearty addition to your game day spread.
Prep: 40 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 chicken breasts
- 9 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, divided
- 2⁄3 cup white onion, chopped, divided
- 5 bay leaves, divided
- 5 Ancho chiles, rinsed, stemmed and seeded
- 2 Guajillo chiles, rinsed, stemmed and seeded
- 4 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 container (32 oz.) Simple Truth Low Sodium Free Range Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups hominy, canned
- 1 cup radishes, sliced
- Dried oregano leaves, for serving
- Corn tostadas, for serving
- Lettuce, shredded, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a saucepan, combine chicken breasts, water, 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 garlic cloves, ⅓ cup white onion and 2 bay leaves. Simmer 25 -30 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Let chicken cool; shred.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, cook Ancho chiles, Guajillo chiles and enough water to cover chiles 10-14 minutes, until chiles are tender.
- In a blender, add strained chiles, tomatoes, remaining garlic, remaining onion, 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules, 2 teaspoons salt and chicken broth. Blend until smooth. Strain sauce.
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add sauce; cook 5 minutes. Add shredded chicken, hominy and 3 bay leaves; continue cooking 20 minutes.
- Serve with radishes, oregano dried leaves, corn tostadas, shredded lettuce and lime wedges on the side.