For Father’s Day, let Dad relax with a Papa Colada. This handcrafted drink recipe from Elliot Clark, the Apartment Bartender, is made with rum, fresh fruit and juices. Swap rum for green tea of coconut water for a delicious mocktail version.
This light and refreshing cocktail is made with fresh raspberry syrup and strawberries for a fruity spin on the classic piña colada.
Prep: 20 min.
Cook: 10 min.
Total: 30 min.
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oz. light rum
- 1.5 oz. fresh pineapple juice
- 0.5 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 strawberry
- 1-2 oz. ginger beer (or ginger ale)
- First, make the raspberry syrup. In a medium saucepan, combine raspberries with 1 cup of water. Bring to a light simmer.
- Once simmering, gently mash raspberries to release the juices. Add sugar and continue to simmer on low until dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow the syrup to cool for 10-15 minutes. Once cooled, use a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to separate raspberry solids. Syrup can be stored in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the cocktail, combine all ingredients except for ginger beer in a cocktail shaker. Muddle the strawberry.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker and shake until chilled.
- Strain the drink into a Collins glass filled with ice and top with a splash of ginger beer. Garnish with a fresh bouquet of mint and a lime wheel.
How to Make a Papa Colada for Father’s Day
This light and refreshing cocktail is made with fresh raspberry syrup and strawberries for a fruity spin on the classic piña colada.View and Shop Recipe
Tip: To make a mocktail version, use coconut water or green tea in place of rum.