There's nothing like homemade Strawberry Shortcake! This recipe is quick and delicious!
- zest of one orange
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cups flour
- 2 pints strawberries, washed and sliced
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- Sift together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in orange zest. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Add in sour cream to form a soft dough. On a floured board, roll out dough to about 1 inch thick. Cut into 6 circles, about 3" wide. (A glass works well as a cutter.) Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until light brown. Let cool. Split the cakes in half with a fork. Whip cream and 1 tablespoon sugar to stiff peaks. Place the bottom halves of the cakes on a small plate. Top with the strawberries and replace the cake tops. Garnish with the whipped cream.